Just me

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Signing up for Rock Climbing

This is what happens when you combine my big mouth with a holiday 3 day weekend.

Lately, me and fiance has settle in a boring routine. Most of the time is just either hanging out at home, go dine out or shopping...boring stuff. We've 'kau tim' (completed) the things we need to do with the apartment already. All unpacking done, a bit of decoration done, all things we need to fixed is fixed etc etc....we are ready to move on to a new 'project'.

We both agreed that we need to make more time to exercise. And I said that jogging and swimming is a bit boring....rock climbing in 1U looks interesting ! (that's my big mouth talking). Fiance said "Wow, I didn't know you were interested in rock climbing, next time we are in 1U, we could check out the place"........

So, in we went to Camp 5, the indoor rock climbing gym that just opened in 1U. It didn't take long to wait for the 'next time we are in 1U'....1U is practically our second home. Back to the rock climbing gym...it's nice, with lots of wall for you to climb, right from the beginners to intermediate to the experts. There are also walls for lead climbing. Fiance looked so excited looking at the people who were climbing there, and I basically was breaking cold sweat just looking at those high walls.
Nonetheless, I was up for the challenge (the instructor there also told me that after climbing for sometime, your fear for heights will lessen). So, we signed up for a 3 months membership. We also signed up for a 4 hours Basic Wall Class. We had the choice of taking 1 4 hours class or 2 2 hours class. I chose the latter. Fiance wanted to chose the 1 4 hours class. I told him, I stand for 4 hours also legs tired, definitely cannot climb for 4 hours.

1st day of class. It was easy enough, just learn the basics, what's a belayer, tie some important knots, learn to belay ...bla bla bla...then it's off to our first climb. We only did a few climbs in this class before it was over.

2nd day of class. Straight away we were of climbing. Here we learned some basic technics in climbing. Yea, it's a lot about technics and not just raw strenght. After the 2 hours, we were exhausted ! Arms had no more strenght and the veins are popping out !

The day after the class. Arms muscle hurt like hell ! ....it hurts even to lift my arms. But it was fun and exhilarating. My fear for the heights are still there, but I feel it's getting a bit less. Maybe due to familiarity to the climbing walls. Well, since we've already signed for the 3 months membership...there'll be more climbing to do.

To know more about the rock climbing gym in 1U : http://www.camp-5.com/

6 Comments:

  • Wahh...so adventurous! Caya-lah...
    How much is the membership? And can you go as many times as you want within 3 months?
    -miki

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:30 PM, December 28, 2005  

  • 3 months membership is RM288. Yeap, you can go as often as you like. Like gym. There's even a shower room, locker room for members to use.
    You can find out more from the website.

    By Blogger paupau, at 2:37 PM, December 28, 2005  

  • Way to go, gal!!!! Proud of you. Too bad me sudah berbadan dua. If not, I sure join u. Once u dah expert, maybe can try out real rock at Batu Caves. Heard from expert climbers, it is a totally different experience. I only tried the real rock. It was fun but nevertheless scary, bcoz I'm scared of height.
    Next time can teach me a trick or two!!!!
    - cumi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 AM, December 30, 2005  

  • cumi, me just beginner. Batu Caves, let me train more first arr. Next time you can bring along ur bubby and bab-bee. There are family memberships too !

    By Blogger paupau, at 10:14 PM, December 31, 2005  

  • So nice to be still without kids. You can do all these any time you like. And me... sob, sob, sob...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 PM, February 06, 2006  

  • Next time when your kid is bigger, can bring him along for these activities. I can see a lot of families bring their kid along. Those kids are like 3-4 years old and can climb better than us 'old people'

    By Blogger paupau, at 3:23 PM, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home